What can I do if I need specialist treatment but don’t meet the criteria?

The NHS can only fund certain treatment for high priority groups of patients including: head and neck cancer patients; cleft lip and palate patients; trauma patients and hypodontia patients (those born with missing teeth).

Specialists also work in private practice and your dentist can refer you locally for an assessment and treatment if required.

You can also look up the details of local specialists and you can then usually self-refer for an assessment.